This is one of the most anticipate question in the list of questions asked in interviews. This question has following:
- To know if you are aware and care about other aspects like soft skills required for a job.
- To know if you take initiative and learn something additional other than what is mandatory or easily available.
- People always like somebody who takes initiative and has a positive outlook and is keen to learn.
- While responding, substantiate what you learn with examples.
- This is an opportunity for you to push forward any of your achievements in extracurricular activities, sports. social work etc. Demonstrate your strength.
- Small and simple things like time planning during exam preparation, discipline for project, punctuality etc are good enough.
Other than academics I acquired and implemented many skills like time management, planning activities for project, and working as team member. I was reserved initially; however i have become more outspoken now and do not hesitate to make new friends. While presenting a technical paper, learned how to put a new concept or knowledge concisely. I have also participated in sports competitions for which regular preparation, practice and discipline is important.
- Never say that you did not learn anything extra excepts academics. This can not be true; you may not be aware of it.
- Do not use big words like management, interpersonal skills, etc. That may sound like a rehearsed answer and not spontaneous or true.
- A list of things you learned without any evidence or example would fail to create the desire impact.
- You are open to learning only from academics but from the environment.
- You are good observer.