Saturday 27 September 2014

Where do you see yourself in next 5 years.

"Where do you see yourself in next 5 years?" This question is strongly asked to not to know your future goal but to know the steps you takes to achieve the goal.


Possible Intention:

  • To know if you have really thought through on what you are going to do in your career.
  • To know if you can think of bigger picture.


Insights:

  • Think through what you want to do in life and why? write down and have a tentative plan of what you want to achieve.
  • Obviously expect a next question like how will you achieve it? Or how this job which you have applied for fits into the gamut of what you aspire to do.


Example Answer:

I was passionate about technology from my childhood. I am very curious to know how things work. Applying technology and doing new creative things is what gives me satisfaction. I want to become a software architect who will be able to use technology in the best way to create solution for real world problems. I know that it is easier said that done. I have discussed this and understood about an architect's role from some relatives who have that kind of experience. I have read many articles and related blogs about architecture. From my study, i came to know that the basic characteristic required to become a good architecture are thinking skills, technology knowledge and hands-on experience. I think this job would give me the required exposure to that i can move a step further towards achievement of my goal.


Anti Pattern:

  • Do not give standard answer like CEO or interviewer's position like project manager without thinking.
  • Do not suggest any role without knowing what they are or what it takes to became that or what you will get if you become one?


Interviewer's Interpretation:

  • Any well thought answer displays seriousness and commitment towards your career and hence the job work.
  • Any shoddy answer without substance would ruin any good impression created so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment